On 30th November 2023, the House of Representatives approved significant amendments to the Civil Registry Law, in relation to the naturalization of highly skilled employees.
This is an important update for third country nationals who fell within this category, as they now have the right to apply for Cypriot citizenship under a fast-track procedure, after being residents of the island for 3-4 years.
Requirements to be fulfilled
Highly skilled professionals are allowed to submit an application if the following requirements are met, among others,
- Legally and continuously reside in the Republic for the period of 12 months before the submission of the naturalization application. (Absence is allowed for a maximum of 90 days)
- Have a clear criminal record
- Have a residency property and stable income of minimum of €2.500
- Legally reside on the island during 10 years prior the 12 months for a cumulative period of 4 years.
- The 4 years rule is only applicable when individuals have Greek language proficiency of A2 level
- The period can be reduced to 3 years if the individuals have Greek language proficiency knowledge of B1 level
Rights of the Family Members
Family members of the highly skilled employees can also apply for citizenship along with the main applicant, under certain conditions.
Timeline for examination
The naturalization applications, under the updated regulations, are examined within 8 months from the day of the submission.
More details and guidance on the procedures are expected to be published by the Authorities in the near future.